Short Sympathy Message Examples
May 31st 2022
Losing a loved one can be one of the worst experiences of anyone’s life, but when you make that effort to help a person through such a horrible time, you’re giving positivity to their very soul. A sympathy gift is often the way to do this and while picking out the sympathy gift might be the easy part, finding the right sympathy messages to go along with it might be a little tough. For many of the sympathy messages you can just think of something straight from the heart, but if you're still struggling here are some short and simple messages you can use to help you get an idea of what to say.
You may come across certain circumstances where you do not know the person very well or the friends and family that they have, but you still want to give them your condolences. This is the time where general condolences can become easy sympathy messages. Here are some general condolences that are short, but also able to express sympathy, even if you do not know the person well.
- Our love and our hearts go out to you during this time.
- Please accept our deepest and heartfelt condolences.
- People like [Name] are rare and truly a gift.
- This tragedy has truly devastated all of us.
- Praying for you and your family during this time.
- Thinking of you at this time.
- Praying that you can find peace in this very difficult time.
- Thinking of you and your family and know that we are here for you.
- Sending our love and condolences your way.
- Praying your heart and soul can find peace at this time.
- I’m so sorry for your loss and I’m praying for peace within your heart and mind.
- With such a difficult time, I just want you to know that I’m here for you and your family.
- All of our thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones at this time.
Loss of a Parent
This is probably the hardest of all situations in which to write a sympathy message and that is because losing a parent is never an easy thing for anyone. In times like this, you really have to feel for the person who has lost their parent and simply be honest and understanding. Also, showing that you care and proving that through a sympathy gift and special message, is something that can help a person get through something as difficult as losing a parent.
- It’s never easy to lose a loved one. Just know that I’m here for you.
- Praying for you and your family during this difficult time.
- Such a big loss is never easy to accept. Praying for strength and healing for your family right now and for the days to come.
- Your [father/mother] was a very gentle soul that shown brightly in this world. They will be missed, but always remembered for their positive light.
- May the fond memories of [mom/dad] bring you peace during this difficult time.
- The memories you gained from [him/her] will be with you always and bring you comfort.
- Sending you our deepest sympathies and prayers your way.
- Your [mother/father] will be deeply missed. [He/she] was truly an inspiration.
- Your [dad/mom] was loved by all and we will remember all the good times we had with [him/her].
- From our family to yours, sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
- The loss of your [father/mother] is truly heartbreaking for all. Please accept our deepest condolences.
- [Name] was a wonderful soul and will be missed by all of [his/her] family and friends.
- Our deepest condolences to you and your family during this time.
Sympathy Messages for a Friend
If you have a best friend or even just a close friend who you know has lost someone, I’m sure you want to go out of your way to bring them some kind of comfort during their loss. A sympathy gift can be the first point of positivity in their life, but having messages for bereavement to go along with the gift, can make a huge difference in their life as well. It might be that one simple message that can give them comfort when they need it most.
- We’ve been friends for so long and know that I’ll be here for you, especially now in this difficult time.
- Thinking about you right now and sending all the love and positive vibes your way. I’m always here for you.
- Losing someone so special can hurt, but know that I’m right here with you to help however I can.
- We both have such fond memories of [Name]. They will never be forgotten.
- Warm wishes of comfort and peace.
Loss of a Sibling
There are often unique circumstances in which you may know a friend of a friend or you might know one sibling, but not the other. Messages for bereavement can come in many forms with this one, but regardless you want to still have words of comfort for the person. Here are a few examples of sympathy messages for this particular type of situation:
- I’m so sorry for the loss of your [brother/sister]. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this time.
- Even though I was never able to meet your [brother/sister], I know [he/she] was very special to you. Praying for you now and always.
- I’m so happy to have known your [brother/sister]. [He/she] will be truly be remembered for the wonderful person they were in life.
- Nothing can compare to the loss of a sibling. Just know that your family is in our thoughts and prayers.
- Praying for you and your family during this difficult time. Losing a sibling is hard, but their spirit can rest easy now.
- My heart goes out to you. I’m so sorry to hear of the passing of your [brother/sister]. Sending you hugs, prayers and comfort.
Loss of a Child
One of the most painful losses in this world is that of a child that has left this world far too soon. Messages for bereavement can be:
- Know that I’m here for you during this tragic time.
- My heart aches so much for you and your family right now. Sending prayers of comfort your way.
- Such an unimaginable loss is too much for anyone to bear alone. Know that I’m here any time you need me.
- I am so sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
- Your family is in my heart and in my deepest prayers.
For some, losing a pet is often just as traumatizing as losing a friend or family member. When you’re trying to think of sympathy messages for this type of situation, you should consider what a pet truly means to a person and how losing that pet might impact their daily life. Knowing this can really help with creating a short sympathy message that will touch their heart.
Some ideas for sympathy messages or messages for bereavement for a pet could be:
Loss of a Pet
- The loving memories of [Name] will forever be in your heart.
- There will never be another pet like [Name]. They were truly one of a kind.
- [Name] was very lucky to have you. I’m so sorry for your loss.
- Losing a pet is never easy. Know that you are in my thoughts.
- I’m sorry for your loss. [Name] was such a wonderful pet.
- My heart goes out to you during this time. [Name] was such a sweet and loving pet.
- Wishing your comfort and healing. I know how much [Name] meant to you.
- I know that [Name] mean the world to you and I’m wishing you nothing but positive vibes.
- [Name] was the sweetest and we will all remember the happy times you had with [him/her].
- It’s never easy losing such a faithful pet. Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.
- Showing our love and deepest sympathies for you during the loss of [Name].
- I know losing [Name] was not easy. Just letting you know I’m here for you always.
- I cannot imagine the pain you are going through right now, but my prayers are with you.
- I will never forget the fond memories we all shared with [Name]. [He/she] will be missed.
The truth is, when it comes to writing sympathy messages, it can be very difficult to find the right words for the right time and in the right tone. Any of these phrases can be used exactly as they are or changed up just enough to fit your own personal situation. Probably the most important aspect of writing sympathy messages is to write from the heart.
You can start off with expressing your condolences and adding a fond memory that you personally have and can share. Those memories are one way to lighten the mood, but also provide sympathies for the person and the situation that they are going through. Keeping it simple and heartfelt is the best way to write sympathy messages that will provide comfort and healing.